Saturday, August 13, 2005

Edinburgh: 12th merges into 13th

So Friday dawned bright and early, for me at any rate … Gradually various of the housemates got up, and then went back to bed again! The shark and I headed off into town – we walked in which I thought was great, I love to explore places on foot; not sure Jazzshark would agree – she’s more of a taxi shark really! We had a lovely healthy lunch in Henderson’s, found a fringe guide from which to swipe a map and prepared to explore Edinburgh. I realised soon into lunch that the shark was flagging so let her off the hook (she went home to have a rest – but then she had had 4 days head start on me!) and headed off with my map to explore Edinburgh.

I bought knickers - I nearly came away without any and realised just at the last minute! However the handful I grabbed from the drawer and stuffed into my case weren’t all "appropriate" so I had to get some more – not sure the shark (with whom I was sharing a bed!) was impressed with the shocking pink lacy numbers I got, but I like them! I also bought needless earrings all of which I love.

I headed up to the Royal Mile and built up quite a collection of fliers – I don’t think I ended up going to any of the shows – they all seemed to clash with stuff I was already planning on doing – but its was interesting seeing the variety of stuff on offer. I found a pharmacy to stock up on Feminax (the shark and I had both run out …) and found a beautiful red velvet bag at the craft market. I persuaded myself I didn’t need it and that I also didn’t need the far more practical (but still unnecessary) black one (don't be impressed by this seeming display of self control - 3 more shopping days left before going home!) and headed back to the Assembly Rooms to meet C, BB and Katie for Monty Python’s Flying Circus (in French). This was great fun – as variable in its funniness as I found the original Monty Python stuff to be honest – ie. some was a fab and some a bit rubbish. As a non-existent French speaker the sub titles helped for some of the stuff I couldn’t quite remember but didn’t always manage to keep up with the pace. I had an ice cream in the auditorium (haven’t done that in years), helped Katie nudge BB awake – he always falls asleep in shows apparently, and managed not to get soaked in the Marathon for Incontinence sufferers sketch.

After that, a brisk walk to a pub near St Brides (Acoustic Music Centre) with BB to meet Petter (Swedish drummer of Stekpanna amongst others) and let him have keys to the flat so he could crash out and tend to his “visitors” (more of that later …) After that and an interesting conversation about the lack of a drum kit for the gigs (more of that tomorrow) there was a quick sprint to St Brides itself so I could learn a new skill – lacing Corliss Randall into her corset. I wonder why it is, that as a woman, you’re expect to “just know” how to do stuff like that? I had no clue – why would I? I have nothing to shove up with a corset anyway … Well I know what to do now, and pretty damn good I am too! I can also satisfactorily pull a Mae West wig onto another person (not as easy as it should be) and generally be a bit of a backstage dresser. Either way Mae West was happy (fascinating to see her emerge bit by bit as her costume went on) and BB was happy too – it meant that he didn’t have to do it (!), corset engineer not being a skill he was particularly looking to add to his CV … I watched the first small bit of the show then hopped in a taxi and headed over to the Pleasance to meet the shark to see Richard Herring.

Richard Herring was good in parts and not in others I felt. It was a smiley gig rather than a belly laugh gig and to be honest I think he’s a better writer than a performer. There was something almost apologetic about the way he delivers his material. You can read the same stuff on his blog and be rotfl but it didn’t quite hang together as well when he was delivering it live. It was still worth doing though. After that there was small gin break followed by Pajama Men. What can I say …? I was completely lost for the first 10 minutes and then I got it! Its fast paced, very, very clever and they were well deserving of their standing ovation that night. Reviews are mixed, but I guess its one of those kind of love it or loathe it shows. Either way the “wagging finger” and “gross” became big part of the vernacular for the rest of the trip.

No time for a gin break now – so we just headed straight over to the Spiegel Tent for La Clique. I usually hate this sort of stuff, but the shark was so full of praise for it from the year before that it had to be done. And it is great stuff, especially where we were standing – I don’t think I would have wanted to be sitting actually. I surprised myself that I liked it and was inordinately disappointed that I wasn’t chosen to be swung round by the roller skating act that closed the show. The shark thought I was mad to want to do it – she was weighing up the “risk assessment” problems with the whole bit of that show! But I think it would have been great. Anyway – I didn’t get the chance; they got another girl out of the crowd instead who looked absolutely terrified and seemed to be cutting the circulation off on the woman performer’s arm she was gripping so tight!

Well, day over – we couldn’t persuade anyone to come over to the Spiegel Gardens and have a drink so we headed back to the flat for a drink instead. And that should have been that … When we got home all the windows were open. Now, it wasn’t a cold night, but by 2am it wasn’t particularly warm either, so why are the windows open? Well, turns out that Petter had been treating his hair for a little case of the nits which he got from his lovely daughter Engla. Bless her! The shark immediately started scratching her head! I must admit even though you know you haven’t got them you do still find yourself having a scratch subconsciously … We were most interested about what the BB and Petter bed-share dynamic was going to be! I think the shark made some comment about BB needing my pink lace knickers (she really wasn’t impressed with them) to put on his head to guard against infestation, which I’m afraid to say, at 4am and after much gin and wine had me in absolute fits. You know when you just get the giggles and can’t stop? Jazzshark was laughing at me laughing and I was laughing at her laughing at me, and the whole thing dissolved into hysteria. It wasn’t really very funny but our chuckle muscles obviously needed a serious work out!

No comments: