Friday, August 26, 2005

Don't Feminax and drive ...

I wonder what it is about that heady combination of 500mg Paracetamol, 8mg Codeine Phosphate, a quantity of Caffeine Monohydrate equivalent to 50mg anhydrous caffeine and 100mg Hyoscine Hydrobromide which makes it the only non prescription pain killer that hits the spot for me?  I don’t need to kill pain very often, thanks to my usually nutrient rich diet (you can almost see me shining my halo!), but when I get what I call my “Thursday headache” there’s nothing else that works.  Paracetamol on its own doesn’t even get close; Codeine on its own makes me queasy and Ibuprofen only works if it is truly a muscular thing.

Anyway, whatever it is, it kills the pain; trouble is it kills pretty much everything at the same time rendering a girl pretty much useless!  Apart from the fact that the caffeine gives me the shakes and stops me from getting back to sleep if the Thursday headache manifests itself during the night (as happened this morning, hence the early morning blog post), I get this curious feeling that I’m on a skateboard and someone has just pushed me down a long fuzzily lit tunnel.  It’s kind of nice – as long as I don’t try and get off the skateboard ride and have to “do” anything! However, as you can imagine it’s a bit dodgy if you’re going to operate machinery – driving a car is a bit like being on the dodgems, or if you simply have to get some work done.  In my old job the Scotsman always used to know when I’d taken some.  I guess it was the change from grumpy Bloominjools to an “away with the fairies” Bloominjools that gave it away, but he was pretty adept at spotting it and commenting “watch out – she’s on the Feminax again!”

It seems to be a painkiller that lots of people I know are particularly partial to, and I’m not sure its necessarily to do with the painkilling part …  The only downside for Jazzshark in her impending move to NY is that she’s not going to be able to get it in the States, what with Codeine being banned and all that …  The fans of Feminax aren’t just limited to girls either; indeed the Scotsman often refers “fondly” to a period of his life he spent sitting in his pants and living off Feminax and Cider.  I can’t function properly on Feminax on its own, so can’t begin to imagine what it would be like with Alcohol – I’m such a light weight!  

Any road up, at least being awake (and headache free) at the dawn of crack again has meant I’m seeing a beautiful sun rise and I’m getting the opportunity to listen to some music – last track played can be found on my audioscrobbler page.  

No comments: