Monday, August 08, 2005

Day 1

Well, I've broken my duck as an IM virgin, I'm scrobbling day and night. So what the hell, lets do a blog ...

I'm supposed to be working really - had a bad day at work on Friday and didn't get much achieved so have been trying to catch up today but its not going very well. There's ironing to do, food to prepare, Athletics to watch, and I can't get at the bit I need to on the work server to get what I'm trying to do done. Hence I've got totally side tracked with the notion of a blog. As you can see I'm easily distracted ...

I've got my first solo project meeting in my new job tomorrow - its kind of exciting as I know I can do the job and am going to be really good at it once I've found my feet, but I'm at that unfortunate 5 week stage which I means I know enough about the job to know its huge, but not enough to really be hitting the ground at a sprint and rattling through the work in the way that I'm used to!

Stuff to look forward to is a leaving dinner for an old work colleague - it'll be good to catch up with some people I haven't seen for a while. Good food (hopefully), good drink (undoubtedly) and good company - can't go wrong really.

Then I'm heading up to Edinburgh for 4 days at the Fringe. I've never been before and am looking forward to it. Have lots of stuff lined up, Richard Herring (he of a great blog), La Clique, Sex with Mae West, and the delectable Big Buzzard Boogie Band - just need to track myself down a random dance partner (who doesn't mind dancing with someone who dances energetically but badly!) and my trip will be complete.

As usual my big worry is what to wear. That was the great thing about a school uniform, whilst I looked dreadful all though my time at school - thank God it was an all girl's school - I never had the agony of the "what to wear" decision every morning before leaving the house .... Will it be hot, will it be cold, will it rain? So many options and in terms of the Edinburgh trip a bag too small to cope with them all ... I know I'm going to have to survive in jeans and various selections of t shirts but I like to be a bit more glam than that; however, 17 people in a 3 bedroom flat may serve to temper any glamorous aspirations I have!

That and probably 4 days with very little sleep - getting back late, eating late and then trying to sleep through the various tumultuously snoring / sleep talking of housemates will put pay to any glamour I'm sure! I'll take my pink suede boots and jingly belt anyway - even if I look haggard I'll be wearing my favourite bits!

I'm typing this listening to the lovely Blossom Dearie who I've just got to know about in the last month or so (obviously have had my head in the sand for the last 38 years ...) She's inspiring me to get of my BTM and start singing some jazzy stuff myself - not something I've ever considered before being a classical high soprano type of bird, but I fancy being a bit of a Jazz Bird now! I've got my Standards Real Book (courtesy of a very kind friend) and have identified 2 songs so far that I'm aiming to learn inside out and back to front and then eventually summon up enough confidence to sing to someone ... There, I've committed it to blog now, so I'll have to do it.

That's what I'm trying to do - branch out. Do things I haven't done before and just as importantly do more of the things I have done before but not enough of!

Anyway enough random blabbing - work has to be done. Project plans don't write themselves - more's the pity ...

One final thing - you must try this link out - its great but unfortunately addictive: http://earth.google.com    

No comments: