Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Its all a matter of stile ...

Why are all stiles not the same? Why are some perfect (in my humble opinion!) Example A below:


And some chunky and sturdy looking but frankly ill designed. Example B below:


Now if it comes to it I'm happy to scramble over a fence or a gate; though the absence of a stile or kissing gate (isn't kissing gate a lovely description?) would indicate that I wasn't necessarily walking a public footpath and was possibly temporarily in the wrong place (lost) and probably trespassing ... However, I think if you're going to provide a stile, then at least provide one that works logically. ie. you get over it using one foot after another - like walking in fact! Example A allows you to do just that, whereas example B makes you either change feet half way over, or do a one footed turn (complete with potentially heavy rucksack) at the top and then come down backwards.

Hey ho, no pleasing some people is there?

PS - this is my favourite stile ...

2 comments:

jazzshark said...

clearly you're holding the group back in that last shot ;-)

Bloominjools said...

Exactly ... It's going to be me, I can feel it in my water.