Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I don't want to be 'the slowest person" ...

Whilst I'm doing quite a bit of walking in preparation for this trip (13 miles this weekend - 5 miles Saturday & 8 miles Sunday), I'm still really scared that I'm going to holding people back. I know that the group can only go as fast as the slowest person, but I would be mortified if that person was me ...

There are no easily accessible proper hills near me - well there's Box Hill but that's only 172 m above sea level and I'm going to be going up to 4,200 m (1,400m in one day in fact …) So I'm just hoping that my gym work will mean that I'm not the weezy runt who struggles with the climbing ...

In the mean time to at least get the mileage up and get me walking on lots of days my training is now up to walking both Saturday and Sunday, plus walking a couple of times during the week too.

The only way I've managed to schedule the mid week walking in without either setting out to walk after work (the time at which I'm more in mind of a glass of wine, food and doing home type chores) or getting up at 5.30 and walking before I leave for work, is actually to simply walk to work. Well, not the whole 12 miles, but 3.7 of them.

I did it for the first time today and it worked quite well. Up at 6.30, train to Cheam at 0710. Arrive Cheam 0730 and set off to walk to Epsom. The first person I bumped into was JC, someone I used to work with in a previous life (seems a lifetime ago now) – what are the chances of that happening? It was certainly weird to see someone in a completely unexpected place and chances are we’ll bump into each other again bearing in mind I’m going to be doing this twice a week. Anyway, 60 minutes later I arrived in Epsom, had a shower at the gym and was at my desk by 0900. Not a bad morning all told!

No comments: